Asbestos is a naturally occurring, fibrous mineral. It is resistant to heat, electricity and corrosion which make it very useful. In fact, asbestos was used extensively as an insulator in construction projects until the 1970s. It was also used to strengthen materials like cloth, paper, cement, and plastic. However, it was discovered that exposure to asbestos is highly toxic to people.
When disturbed, microscopic particles can flake off, creating airborne asbestos dust and fibers which can then be inhaled or ingested. Those particles become trapped in the body. They never dissolve and it is extremely difficult for the body to expel them. Over time, these trapped fibers can cause inflammation, scarring, and genetic damage to the body’s cells. Asbestos can also cause cancer. With each exposure the asbestos accumulates in the body with no way to reverse the damage it inflicts.
While no amount of asbestos exposure is safe, people that see the most health implications are those that have had an intense concentration exposure or they were exposed to it on a regular basis over a long period of time.
Get a Free Quote
Since the 1980’s asbestos products have been phased out in favour of safer alternatives so it is not an issue with newer buildings. However, it can occasionally be found lurking in older buildings. Common areas to test and remove asbestos include: pipe wrap, floor tiles, and vermiculite. In addition to the direct health effects, asbestos also has a bad reputation which can spread to your business if it is found in your property.
Ontario Mould Specialists are qualified professionals, having passed the required safety courses to effectively perform asbestos abatement in type 1 and type 2 work environments. Our professional team will safely and discreetly remove asbestos using unmarked vans and adhering to WSIB compliance.
To ensure the safety of your living or working environment, call Ontario Mould Specialists today for a free quote on asbestos removal.
Get a Free Quote