Dashed Line

Is Sleeping in a Bedroom with Mould Bad for Your Health?

SHARE THIS PAGE


Mould can spread anywhere in your home as long as a few simple conditions are met. Is sleeping in a bedroom with mould bad for you? The short answer is YES. Even having a small amount of it in your bedroom is bad for your health. You might think that this sort of problem can wait a few days until the weekend, but that’s a risk that isn’t worth taking. You should have the mould taken care of by professionals as soon as possible, especially if it is in a bedroom that’s being used regularly.

Just like other fungi, mould produces and spreads spores through the air around it. Outside your home, these mould spores travel through the air and spread far by riding wind currents. On the other hand, mould spores indoors typically remain close to the existing mould and lay dormant due to less airflow. This causes the mould to multiply quickly and leave a far higher amount of mould spores in the air of your home. By breathing in a lot of these mould spores you can develop a variety of health conditions for your lungs such as Hay fever, Sleep apnea, severe coughing, Asthma, and various pulmonary infections.

The area where mould is found is very important for minimizing the risk of developing these health issues. For example, finding mould in your attic is far less impactful than discovering it in your bedroom. The longer we are directly exposed to mould, the more spores we are breathing into our bodies and the worse our health is impacted. The minimum amount of time most people spend in their bedrooms is 7 hours each night and that’s only for sleeping.

Who is More at Risk?

It’s important to note that children are far more at risk for developing health conditions because their lungs and immune system aren’t fully developed yet. Also, if you already have a pre-existing health condition, such as a weakened immune system, you should proceed with caution by avoiding the bedroom with mould and contacting us immediately. Some people’s health can be more negatively impacted by mould exposure than others, so you shouldn’t take any chances.



If you haven’t discovered any mould in your home, that is great news. However, you should make it a habit to regularly check your home for it. We recommend doing this at least once a month. Especially for the rooms you typically spend the most time in like your bedroom, basement and living room. Checking your home regularly and ensuring that the humidity is regulated can go a long way in preventing mould from forming in the first place.

If you have discovered mould in your home, you may have already been exposed to it for quite some time. It is crucial to remove the mould as soon as possible, but it is even more important to fix the conditions that allowed it to spread in the first place. Mould is similar to a small plant and once its roots have grown into your floors, ceilings or walls, wiping it away only knocks the top off of it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *