Can Humidity in my Home Cause Mould to Grow?

If you have recently purchased a house, or have lived in your current house without an awareness of the signs of mould, there is a likelihood it is present in a few places. Although it is hard to justify spending money on a danger you may not readily see, Health Canada advises that the health dangers from mould spores are real. The longer the mould has been allowed to remain present and growing, the more numerous and broad the spore growth.

Humidity in your home causes mould to grow:
Mildew is the word used to describe the smell of mould growing in an area where there is too much humidity. The higher the humidity, the more quickly the mould will grow.
It is the odour of an old upholstered fabric chair or other organic articles like clothes, drapes and blankets that have lived in a mostly dark basement for an amount of time.

Health Canada carried out two reviews in 1995 and 2004 and found the following:

Mould causes significant pulmonary health issues, exacerbated in people with lung conditions such as asthma, allergies, pulmonary fibrosis, compromised lung function or a weakened immune system.

Elderly people, young children and, of course, pets of all sizes are more likely to be affected by the repercussions of mould.


Sadly, rats in a laboratory study were found to undergo ‘severe histological and biochemical changes when exposed to mould.’

The mould fungi only grow on organic materials.
It releases spores that can be harmful when breathed in, causing several heath problems, especially for the groups mentioned above:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Swelling of the lining of one’s nose
  • An allergic reaction within your lungs due to the triggered inflammation
  • Wheezing or coughing
  • A chest infection called Aspergillosis is possible

Even healthy people will likely experience symptoms: 

  • phlegm build-up
  • nose, eye or throat irritation
  • shortness of breath

 

 If you see mould, it must be removed as soon as possible. It only grows on organic surfaces and can be seen in as short a time as 48 hours after an incidence of water damage.

Where to look for mould:

  • Older drywall is almost always 100% organic, two layers of paper product that sandwich a lightweight organic mineral called gypsum. If drywall is found behind older bathroom or kitchen tiles in areas with poor ventilation or ineffective caulking, it should be checked for mould. Lack of sunlight makes mould grow Read more about how to detect mould in the walls of your home.
  • Older cottages that may have damp floors send the absorbed water from the ground up the walls.
  • Building renovations that, in haste, have been installed wet or have trapped moisture in a not thoroughly dried plaster wall.
  • Ceiling tiles that have trapped the humidity in the room.
  • Basements that have sustained water damage and the organic material there; fabric, carpet, clothing, drapery, and drywall are almost always mould permeated. Read more about how to make your home less prone to flooding.
  • Leaks that have made wooden window frames and trim wet. Read more about 5 ways to prevent water damage in your home.
  • Bathrooms without fans and windows allow persistent humid air to eventually grow mould on the visible organic surfaces or those behind wall and floor finishes.

Find the source of the mould and address the clean-up. The healthiest decision will be to spend the required money for professionals to remedy the existing mould right away.

Air circulation works wonders at drying a home or a room and keeping at bay the humidity that allows mould to grow.

If you do not have a bathroom window to open, call a handy person (or marry one) and make the installation of a fan your priority.

Give us a call or visit the website of Ontario Mould Specialists: ontariomould.ca .

If you suspect your mould concerns have got out of hand and you want the best, we are the specialists. It is all we do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *